Sunday, May 27, 2012

Themes of the Chain of Hearts Novel.

Themes for chain of hearts The main theme of the novel, Chain of Hearts, is guilt and jealousy because it talks about the characters traumatic experiences where they feel guilty as it was their fault. Also, some events of guilt in the novel were caused by jealousy. Family "If anyone needed proof about how things have been in their family back then, they only needed to look at that blasted white-elephant of a studio sitting in the backyard." pg. 290 Guilt "I have done this. This is my fault. Along with killing Mai" pg. 352 "You'll be satisfied to know that I'm very guilty right now about Sophie... Very guilty. I favoured my other children above Sophie." pg. 321 Relationships "My daughter, only seventeen years old, and I haven't spoken to her in a month!" pg. 291 Forgiveness GSelf discovery Dealing with loss "Not another death. Oh please. Not a beautiful young girl of seventeen. Not my niece who I'm meant to be looking after. Oh god..." pg. 282 "'I'm worried sick... About Sophie. And I know you are too, so please let's work together on this.' 'I could never work with you, Fran.' ... 'I don't trust you.'" pg. 284 Dealing with traumatic experiences War (Vietnam) Art (women in art) Jealousy "Dad had always been so strict and terse with the three eldest... They were rarely indulged with stories or ice creams, much less the right of reply... Geraldine... been filled with an acute sense of the injustice of it." pg. 289

No comments:

Post a Comment